11 silly things people do when they are trying to get into shape.
- Thinking it needs to be one extreme or the other with dieting (such as keto vs. vegetarian) – Unless you have a medical reason, the answer usually lies somewhere in the middle.
- Trying to out-train a bad night of eating – Don’t punish yourself for a bad night of eating; this creates an unhealthy relationship with food.
- Overestimate what they can do in 3 months but underestimate what they can do in 12 months. – Doing a 3-month crash program will be great for the short term, but the goal is to look great for years to come, not just a weekend.
- Thinking they HAVE to do ‘x’ exercise because someone says so – If it hurts, don’t do it, no matter what social media or influencers say.
- Going lightweight for high reps for fat loss – Fat loss is determined by calories, not going lighter in the gym.
- Not eating enough protein – Protein is good for more than just muscle; it’s good for gut health, immune systems function, hormones, etc… you probably need more than you think.
- Not eating enough veggies – Nothing else needs to be said here.
- Listening to too many people – This creates a “too many cooks in the kitchen” scenario. Listen to no more than 3 people and preferably 3 people who have accomplished more than you.
- Not getting blood work done – health, or lack of, will show on the inside of the body before the outside. Correct any health markers, and it makes losing weight a lot easier.
- Not tracking their numbers – Record the weights you lift; this will keep you from doing the same weights, sets, and reps as your last workout and stalling your progress.
- Comparing yourself to others – You cant’ compare your chapter 1 to someone else’s chapter 21. It’s not fair to you.
Bonus: If you’re new to fitness or you are stuck, get a mentor to show you what you need to do. Their experience will cut your learning curve by 100’s of percent and speed up your results.
In Health and Awesomeness,
Travis Merritt, BS, CPT, (and other letters behind the name) is the Owner of Rowlett Transformation Center in Rowlett, TX.
P.S. – If you enjoyed this post please share it with your friends using the social media buttons below.
P.P.S. – Please ask a question or share a comment with us in the Leave a Comment section at the very bottom of the page. We love your feedback and will use it to develop future content.
PLEASE CLICK THE “LIKE” BUTTON, POST A COMMENT AND SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS…