I’m luckier than most; I’m aware of this. I have a home gym AND a full studio gym to myself, so access to equipment or trying to obtain any isn’t an issue for me during the quarantine, but whenever I work with someone that has ZERO and I mean ZERO equipment I always put myself in their shoes and think…
“What if I had to lose 20lbs, gain some muscle at home with no equipment?”
Now, these are the things I would do, realize that some of these may work and others may not work for you. Take what you will, and hopefully, this helps.
- Start with a couch to 5K program. We have one HERE in our Free Help Kit you can download
- Set a goal to sweat for 1 hour each day.
- Follow IF (intermittent fasting) and not eat until 1 pm and stop eating at 7 pm each day. (side note if you have autoimmune or hormonal issues such as a thyroid issue you will want to talk to your Dr first)
- Focus on eating 3 complete meals a day composed of protein, LOTS of veggies (about 2 cups per meal), and potatoes or rice.
- I would learn HOW took cook.
- Go to bed at 9 pm each night – this will help curb the late-night snack habits.
- On the days that my couch to 5K ended in under an hour then walk until I hit 60min of activity.
- In between my coach to 5K days I would walk for about an hour listening to an audiobook
- I would look on Amazon or Facebook market place for flat bands or a pair of 20lb dumbbells or a suspension trainer. I know I wouldn’t find these anytime soon, but it would take me to the next level.
- Give myself ONE refeed meal (think cheat meal) every 5lbs of fat I lose. This could take about 2-3 weeks.
- My cheat meal would be composed of MORE starchy carbs and something fatty, NOT sugary. A fatty steak with lots of sweet potatoes :-P.
- I would only give myself 90min for my cheat meal to keep it from lasting all day (hey, I know myself)
- 3-4xweek I would do the following exercises: Push up variations (hands close, wide, staggered, etc…), squat variations (fee close, wide, toes out, etc..), lunge variations, V-ups, planks, spending 1min on each exercise until I complete 5 rounds of each exercise.
- I would add one round every 2-3 workouts until I could complete 10 rounds.
- If, after a few weeks, I couldn’t find reasonable equipment, I would make my own suspension trainer via YouTube (HERE) for under 20$ and find or make something secure to anchor it too. A tree or mounting a handicap railing on the wall. (Extreme? When it comes to your health and your sanity, no)
- Stretch daily, but alternate between upper body focused, and lower body focused stretching.
- Track my measurements each Sunday Morning – This would keep me from eating like crap on Saturday, knowing I had to step on a scale in the morning.
I know that if I followed these steps each day, I would WITHOUT a double lose 15+lbs in 6-8 weeks and would see a noticeable difference in muscle tone and strength.
Also, I would just mentally and emotionally feel better.
Again.. this is just what I would do 🙂
In Health and Awesomeness,
Travis Merritt, BS, CPT, (and other letters behind the name) is the Owner of Rowlett Transformation Center in Rowlett, TX.
P.S. – If you enjoyed this post please share it with your friends using the social media buttons below.
P.P.S. – Please ask a question or share a comment with us in the Leave a Comment section at the very bottom of the page. We love your feedback and will use it to develop future content.
PLEASE CLICK THE “LIKE” BUTTON, POST A COMMENT AND SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS…